Sunday, July 24, 2011

Get Crafty {Book Slings}



We completed the book slings for Dylan's room! I am so excited for the way they turned out. They fill the cozy corner with the perfect touch of cuteness and functionality. I have been dying to share this project with all of you!

I blogged earlier this year about one of my favorite websites - Odeedoh. There was a darling room named "Leighton's Lovely, Lively Nursery," and immediately I became obsessed with the unique yellow book slings that hung on the wall.

Ryan and I have been reading books to Dylan since before he was born. During the late months of my pregnancy, we would snuggle up before bed and read a nursery rhyme to our little one.


When he was teeny tiny in the early months, we would lay him on a blanket and read him books with bright, vibrant pictures, and he would kick and squeal.


His love for books keeps growing, and we are ever so pleased! When he was about 10 months old, Ryan was sitting on the floor amidst a pile of books in the nursery, and Dylan walked up and scooted his way into his Daddy's lap.
Now he loves to bring us books and cozy up while we read him a story. His attention span is very short - there is so much to do and see - but we can make it through a few of his favorites.


When it came to organizing, I wanted a spot that was easily accessible for him to get his own books. We didn't have room for a big bookshelf, so I was delighted when I found the pictures of the book slings!


I found an awesome tutorial for the project over at Penny Carnival. When i realized just how simple they were to create, my heart was set on the project.

Dylan and I made several trips to JoAnn, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby, searching for the perfect fabric. I have been adding a few more touches of color to his nursery lately, and I love the bits of orange and yellow that brighten up the room.
With those colors in mind, I finally found a cute flannel with orange, green, brown, and blue swirls. We gathered the rest of the necessary tools, and to work we went!

{Tools Needed}

-A 47-inch by 42-inch piece of fabric
-Two double curtain rod brackets. {Lowes $5.00/bracket}
-Two, 4-foot long wooden dowels or curtain rods that fit into the brackets. {Lowes $2.00/rod}
-Drill and drill bits
-Level
-Pencil
-Sewing machine, thread and scissors

SO simple and cheap! Again, I will sadly admit that I am sewing challenged (not for long!) so I asked my kind Mother In Law for her skills. She came over on a Wednesday afternoon and whipped them up in no time. This weekend Ryan got out his trusty tools and in a matter of 15 minutes we had the most darling book slings. (It sounds like I didn't do a thing, huh? Somebody has to come up with the ideas!)

{Here are the finished book slings}


Ryan and I were elated - immediately Dylan walked over, smiled, and pulled out a book. Perfect :)


Want to see the rest of the nursery?
Welcome <3

Are you visiting from Pinterest?! Follow my boards while you are pinning away!! 
So happy to have you drop by - Please stop and say hello :)



17 comments:

Christine said...

OMG! Those are the cutest things ever! I love the fabric you picked out! and love that Dylan walked right over and picked out a book! Talk about a successful project! :)

Carmella said...

I love this so much!! I am in the process of decorating our baby boy's room and this will be perfect! Thanks so much for sharing with Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I am co-hosting this week and I am so happy I found your beautiful blog there! I am now following, I hope you can stop by and visit when you get a chance!
creativecarmella.blogspot.com

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Great idea and they look great! I'm your newest follower from the party. Stop on by when you can.

http://directionsnotincluded.blogspot.com/

smithpeasinapod said...

Thanks Christine!! I appreciate the kind words - I always love your comments!

Carmella & Anna, thank you SO much. So happy to have you as followers - can't wait to check out your blogs. Carmella, I am following you on Pinterest...love your ideas :)

Jennifer said...

So great!!
Found you on the Homemaked on a Dime linky!

smithpeasinapod said...

Hi Jennifer! A fellow Okie! Happy to have you here :)

BluBabesCreate said...

Those were precisely done! But I think the babe is cuter!

Imaginary Confetti Club said...

That is such a cute idea!!

Xo Chloe.
http://lazyexplorers.blogspot.com

loving momma @ happy as a lark said...

Found your blog over at Sweet Peas & Bumblebees. Your book slings turned out so cute. Love them :)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Growing a reader is one of the most important jobs as a mama! Love those book slings...great choice of fabric.

Megan Gunyan said...

I've always wanted to make one of these! I love how they turned out! Obviously, a huge hit. :)

smithpeasinapod said...

Thank you sweet ladies for your kind comments! I agree...starting reading at a young age is so important! If any of you whip some of these up I would LOVE to know :)
Happy to have you stop by <3

Rachel (Lines across my face) said...

Wow these are fantastic! I love love love these book slings! I would love it if you would stop by and link this post up to my crafty link party that I just started at Lines Across My Face.
:) Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

Unknown said...

SO precious! And I liked the book slings too! Haha! Thanks so much for linking up to WWWW! I'm featuring you today!

Rachel (Lines across my face) said...

You are being featured this week at Lines Across My Face. (Feel free to stop by and pick up a featured button). Thanks for linking up last week and I hope to see you again this week.
Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-3-craft-link.html

Anonymous said...

I love these! What a great, clever idea. Thanks for sharing. I have some sewing to do now :)

Baby Carrier said...

Great & cute idea! I appreciate you....I love book sling too.Its a wonderful idea to engage our baby with some work..Thanks for sharing.....!