Friday, July 29, 2011

Tasty Treat {Momma Milk Cookies}

I am sharing a most delicious and interesting recipe with you today! Lactation cookies are a yummy way to boost your milk supply while breastfeeding your little one. There are a few key ingredients in these tasty treats that are very helpful. Oats are packed with iron and are a fantastic source of fiber. They are dense and packed with healthy calories - very important for breastfeeding Mommas! Brewer's yeast is a natural source of B vitamin which helps both a Mother's supply as well as energy and metabolism. Flax seed is also full of fiber, but most importantly it is power packed with the important Omega-3's that are crucial to your baby's brain health as well as many other great side effects.

In the beginning of my nursing relationship with Dylan, I had many supply issues. With support from Ryan and my family, I found the help I needed through many great resources. While on one of my most favorite websites, The Leaky B@@B, I found this awesome recipe for Lactation Cookies. I have made them several times and they work absolute wonders for milk supply! They are seriously tasty too! I have been happy to share this recipe with other Mother's, and I like to tuck in the recipe with a fresh batch as a gift for new breastfeeding Mommas.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

Recipe rundown:
Taste: Sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste
Texture: Chewy
Ease: Time consuming - but worth it!
Appearance: Like your average oatmeal cookie
Expense: Pricey*
Pros: Tasty, incredibly effective, great gift
Cons: Brewers yeast and flax aren't the tastiest additives
Would I make this again? Yes!



* Brewers yeast and flax are both pretty expensive.
But once you have them, they will last you a very long time!

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips
2-4 tablespoons brewer's yeast

While the recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of water, I recommend using only 2 so your cookies will be thicker and fluffier.
Flax seed meal can be found at grocery stores in both the baking and pharmacy aisles. I got mine at WalMart. brewer's yeast can be found at health food stores such as Akins or Whole Foods.
*Again, both flax & brewer's yeast are pricey but will last you a long time!
** The first time I made these I couldn't find brewer's yeast so I left it out. The cookies were still very effective!

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix Flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 5 minutes


3. Mix butter, sugar, & brown sugar//mix well
4. Add eggs//mix well
5. Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla//beat well


6. Sift flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt


7. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture
8. Stir in oats and chocolate chips


9. Scoop on to baking sheet
{My cookies always flatten out a LOT, so consider making the dough balls on the smaller side}
10. Bake for 12 minutes
11. Let cool and remove from tray
12. Enjoy at least 4 a day...or more :)

No comments: