Monday, April 5, 2010

Pregnant Rant & Rave

Strangers, you need to think before you speak.
As pregnant women we suddenly, somehow find ourselves public figures just because we have these big bellies sticking out. Everyone's got an opinion on every aspect of YOUR nine months and boy are they going to tell you about it. While most comments are not meant to hurt or slander, it really blows my mind that they would even consider saying them our loud.
Here's my favorite list of
"Things Pregnant Women Do NOT Want to Hear"
Some have been directed at me, some I have read from other pregnant women who feel the same way I do...
  • Are you having twins?
  • No really...are you sure there's just one baby in there?
  • Oh my God, you look like you are about to pop/Wow, you are really getting big!
  • When are you due again? You have to be at least 9 months?!
  • Were you planning on this pregnancy?
  • When did you conceive?
  • Are you really going to eat/drink that?
  • Aw honey you are too young to be having children!
  • You aren't going natural are you? I don't think you'll be able to make it!
  • You look really tired!
  • I bet you are counting down the days until you get to be done with this huh?
  • What are your baby names? Oh, I knew someone with that name - they were horrible.
  • You've started retaining water huh? I can see it in your face.
  • When is your due date? Ohhh...a Gemini - good luck with that.
  • Eating again?
  • Enjoy your last few months of freedom!
  • Has this ______(fill in awful side effect) happened yet?
I could keep going for days! Sometimes they wound you for a split moment, but my excitement along with the admiration of family and friends, and the look in my husband's eyes when he looks at me...it all makes it disappear.

Thank you for the customers, co-workers, strangers, friends, and family that:
  • Tell me there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman.
  • Call me "glowy" (our ATM Security Guard has nicknamed me)
  • Remind me how much of a blessing children are.
  • Get so excited when they find out its our first - and tell me how insanely, wildly fun life is about to be.
  • Tell me how cute my maternity clothes are.
  • Giggle at my "cute marshmallow feet" - I know, you thought I'd be offended right? They really do look like marshmallows though :)
  • Tell me how amazing it is to not find out the gender of the baby and how it is so worth the wait!
  • Tell me no matter what I have, it will be handsome/beautiful
  • Show me pictures of their new baby/grand-baby and tell me how happy we are about to make our family!
  • Ask kindly before they touch my belly...and are gentle when they do it!
  • Act shocked that I am still working on my feet and call me a "superstar" :p
  • Pick up all the random items my belly knocks off counters.
  • Rub my back (friends and family only!)
  • Tell me what a great Mom I am going to be.

3 comments:

Court3ney said...

I have had many people who waited to find out the gender how AMAZING that moment is during birth and that it makes it easier to get through labor. It will be well worth it! And, don't listen to them. You look great!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetest daughter-in-love! I'm so proud of your journaling. Keep up the good work!

smithpeasinapod said...

Courtney...HUG to you :) You are so sweet!!

Momma and Momma-in-love - I love you both <3
xoxoxoxo