Thursday, April 15, 2010

32 Weeks - BIG baby!!

We went to our 32 week appointment as well as our Pre-Admission today!

























We went to the Birthing floor of St. John's and after filling out gobs of paperwork we met the sweetest nurse named Penny. She went over every bit of the birthing process with us.

We went over the early labor warning signs and how to react to them. She explained how its not a rushed crazy dramatic episode when I go into labor. It really eased Ryan's nerves when she told us its nothing like the movies. Penny explained that after my water broke we would calmly gather our things and that I could even take a quick shower before we left the house!

We talked about my preference on an Epidural - I am planning on going natural! However we will have the option if I am so inclined to change my mind. She told me every step of getting the monster shot...*shudder* I had no idea they poke you with that beast of a needle then leave a catheter in your back! Also that the fluids they give me before the Epi will keep me in bed with no option of walking around, and the morphine in my system after the shot will keep me in bed for up to 6 hours! All very interesting! We talked about breastfeeding and how I will have the opportunity to feed the baby almost immediately after birth which is wonderful! She said they used to whisk the baby away right after birth, but now they bring the scale, and ink pads for foot and hand prints into your room and you get to spend an hour with the baby before his/her first bath. They have to bathe the baby in the nursery under a warmer so it doesn't get too chilly!

We learned so much and she was ecstatic we were taking our classes soon. May 8th Ryan and I will spend the day in Childbirth Education (Lamaze) and then on the 12th my Mom and I will go to my Breastfeeding class. We are on a waiting list for Child Safety/CPR. On our way out of the meeting she asked our names and smiled when she heard Olivia. Her good friend Olivia Smith has a birthday on June 6th!!! Is it a sign??


















Next we had our Ultrasound! The baby is the size of a baby!!! haha I know, obvious right? It is just so nuts to see the changes since our last visit. The Sonographer we had today is very good at her job, but it is apparent she has been doing this for many many years. She was very cut and dry, doing everything very quickly. We got to see little one squirm around best he/she could in the tight space available now. We saw the little face with the hands up close by. Then she looked at the wide open legs and kindly instructed we turn away (Thank You!) She pointed at the screen and said "And there's the BIG foot!" and we giggled not thinking much of it. She printed off two pictures and whisked us in the see Howerton.
























Dr. Howerton came in smiling and said "the baby is SO healthy!! I am happy! We will do another Ultrasound in a month." Confused, I said that this was supposed to be our last. That's when she dropped the bomb! "Due to the size of the baby we will do one more just to see where to go from there...based on the Ultrasound it looks like we are at 6 pounds." {At 32 weeks the "normal" approximate size is about 3.5lbs} We just stared at her until I said "I'm sorry, what?!" I jokingly asked if this meant I was going to deliver a 10 pound baby to which she answered (still with a big smile) "probably!" Ahhhhhhhhh!! She explained how it is a great thing because it means I have a great placenta (thank you!) and the baby is very healthy and getting lots of nutrients. This could possibly change our birth plan, but we are up for anything and ecstatic that the baby is so healthy.
When the Sonographer said big foot, she meant it! We might have a pro-basketball player in our midst :)

More Updates soon!!

1 comment:

Jessi Mayfield said...

We met with Penny, also! She's a doll, isn't she? She set our minds at ease about many things... she did make the comment about "not like in the movies." Nice to hear! And true. You will love the Lamaz class.. it was extremely informative and fun. I had a few complications with my labor and Collin's delivery, but I was not caught by surprise. I was well prepared! You are in good hands, my friend. =)