Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Park Play

I keep coming back here and staring at a blank Blogger template...so far behind that I don't know where to begin. I'm going to stop worrying about catching up and just share what I have time to!
While I had a wonderful love affair with this blog for over a year, I must admit that the break has been nice. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done, but I am starting to realize that is just fine!

These past few months have been immensely full and fun. Dylan seems to get more hilarious and entertaining. He is SO curious and wants to spend every moment investigating and taking in the world. I love nothing more than indulging that need for him - we have so much fun on our outings and jaunts both big and small - from the grocery store to the zoo. It is such an amazing luxury to be able to spend my days playing with him. I said to Ryan last night, "it is so crazy to me that for the next five years, my main objective is to have fun with Dylan!"

At my baby shower while pregnant with D, Cara started a book of advice for me. She had each guest write a little bit of guidance for my transition into motherhood. Yesterday, while cleaning up the house, I opened it up and flipped through a few pages. My Mom's final note in her advice was:

"Let the dust collect and the dishes sit - GO TO THE PARK!"

I looked at Dylan and he grinned back at me, so we did exactly that!

This was his second trip to the park. Around the time that the days began to warm up and the sunshine begged to be basked in, I started scouring for nearby parks. I was so happy to find that ours as well as nearby neighborhoods are littered with them!! Our friend Kevin was even sending us texts when he would spot a park with baby-friendly bucket swings! So one fun Saturday afternoon we headed out for Dylan's first park excursion. I'm pretty sure Ryan and I had way more fun than he did - I think the big towering swing set and slide were a bit scary to him. He whined on the slides and he just barely tolerated swinging in my lap, so the trip was shorter than planned. We decided to go for a stroll in the pretty neighborhood instead!

shorts & a tank - the warmth is here!




clinging to me like a little monkey!


Daaaaad I don't wanna!!
Happy and safe in his stroller
Want a drink Dad?

I had high hopes that our second trip to the park would be a little bit more successful! The weather was absolutely perfect. Warm sunshine with a nice cool breeze - just beckoning for us to come play! Dylan and I swooped by Gree Gree's house and picked her up then headed to Florence. Cara, Sarah and I hung out there many times during high school. It was a quaint, pretty little park to sit and chat at. Much to my surprise it had be completely revamped! The sand and wood chips had been replaced with this awesome rubber ground that was bouncy to the step - perfect for a small wobbly walker. The toys were very unique and just plain cool. D was a bit hesitant at first. He stood there in awe of the toys and all the little kids, not sure what to do first! He made his way over to a little red pole about his size, and stood close to Gree Gree just to be safe. Then he mustered up some courage and was off! He ran all over that park screeching with glee. We even made friends with a little 17 month old boy named Henry and flirted with a cute little girl in purple. He had a blast - we can't wait to go back!

woah.
running!

I'm just gonna hang out here for a second...


mustering...
holy cow Mom this spins!



i must touch each one!
I found a cool car! Can i keep it?!

Gree Gree watching in on the fun!



she thought D was pretty cute :)
Cooling down on a stroll before we head home
a sign of a successful day of fun!


2 comments:

AB said...

Loved this. The picture where he's standing there in awe of it all made me laugh out loud! Our next play date is at a park for sure.

smithpeasinapod said...

Heheh it was all so big and new :)
Yes!! We would love that!!