Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stormy Weather

Eek! Waiting for the storm to hit





We made it! 
The storms have passed us by - thank goodness.
There were massive tornadoes and storms across the state today - the weathermen were going nuts! It was enough to send us into a small panic. I spent the end of my afternoon clearing out a TON of stuff from our guest bedroom walk-in. We packed it with water, clothes, diapers, pillows and all the essentials for a "just in case" situation. For hours we anxiously watched the news with anticipation of the storm and what it would bring.
We checked outside and got everything anchored down - preparing for the 70 mph wind. When we went out front a bird flew out of my hanging basket of petunias! I just knew there was a nest in there - we took it down and sure enough, there were three darling little eggs. Had I left it hanging, the wind would have surely blown them out. I placed them safely under our front stoop, hoping the momma bird wouldn't abandon them. (I hung it back up at 11:00 that night, and today she was back!)



Around 8:30 the sirens went off and we dashed to the closet. We kept Dylan entertained the best we could while we listened to our storm radio - and the pounding rain and whistling wind outside. Dylan was hot and super tired, after several failed attempts to nurse him to sleep he finally gave in.


Seriously cranky.
"Ooh what's this??"
"Don't worry Chloe, I've got you!"
Mommy wins!

Thankfully after about 45 minutes the storm blew through, and we survived without any major damage. Not everyone shared that fate however - our hearts and prayers go out to all those affected by this storm. Tomorrow the damages of Oklahoma will be reported - hopefully they are minimal. The devastation in Joplin, MO still remains in the forefront of my mind. Our church is taking any and all donations possible. If you can help in any way, please do.


There is one story in particular from yesterday's storm that makes my heart ache. There is a little 3 year old boy from Piedmont Oklahoma that is missing. A mother and her three kids rushed to get in the bathtub when the storm hit. Their house was completely leveled in a matter of minutes. The mother who is pregnant is still in the hospital. The family's youngest, a 15 month old boy, died, and the little girl is in critical condition. Ryan, 3, is still missing. Search efforts are continuing to look for Ryan, and several funds have been set up to help the Hamil family. Please keep them in your prayers.



5.26: It is with a heavy heart that I share the news of the missing little boy. His body was found this morning by the shoreline. I couldn't stop crying when I heard the news - I couldn't imagine losing not one, but two babies. I mourn his loss and hope that prayers and love of family and friends will help heal the Hamil families' hearts.

Thank you Lord for keeping my family and loved ones safe.

No comments: