Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Favorite {Compassion.For.Yourself}

I previously posted a blog about the empowering website, The Shape of a Mother. Recently, a blogger & an Oklahoma native posted a handful of pictures of herself with a few beautiful words to her readers. It was her own tribute to her postpartum body and to mothers all the same. Little did she know that her moment of bravery would end up in Parenting mag & Glamour.

The blog {Starving Artist ink} was simple. Three beautiful pictures & a few sentences...

"you are beautiful, do you know that?
and your imperfections make you even more perfect."
-xo

Her follow up blog ever so simply and beautifully, depicted her feelings towards her body & an urge for women to love the skin they are in & to have "compassion.for.yourself."

i'm a mama…
my body is so imperfect and soft and sexy in a different way. in a real way… in a way that my husband grabs me and wants me. in a powerful way that- i carried life, i gave birth, and i nourish this babe.  in a way that- i know i look more like you and less like airbrushed images. genuine and honest and imperfectly perfect.
“being vulnerable can be powerful.  loving yourself can be even more.
you don't have to get naked and take pictures of yourself.  you don't have to be brave.
just start with compassion. for. yourself.
open your eyes wide and see the bigger picture. see beyond what stands in the mirror.”

you.are.beautiful.

3 comments:

Denver said...

I really needed this right now. Her words are so true. The past couple of months I have looked at myself in the mirror everyday and feel so ugly. Allen tells me a thousand times a day how beautiful I am, but I don't see it. I need to remember that I gave birth to the most precious little girl and all of my imperfections are well worth it :)

T P said...

I really liked this post. mom

smithpeasinapod said...

Denver I am so glad this inspired you. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to get acquainted with this new body that having a baby has left me with. With the help of strong women like this, It gives me the extra push to let go of my worries and be happy with my body. It'll take time, but it's worth it. I agree my dear...our babies are worth it all! Xo

Thanks for the encouragement Mom :)