Thursday, September 15, 2011

Get Crafty {Tie Onesie}


Here is my little stud-muffin wearing his new tie onesie.
{tutorial after the jump}

I whipped this up in about 20 minutes, and I am really pleased with it. Once you try your hand at appliques, you will realize the possibilities are endless! I've already dreamed up a handful of ideas for my next iron-on ventures. 
Here are the step by step intstructions for this easy project:

Materials:
  • Baby Onesie (bodysuit) or tee
  • Tie pattern
  • Fabric scrap for tie (I cut one to match the size of one sheet of my Heat & Bond)
  • Heat & Bond
  • Pencil
Optional:
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine or hand sewing needle
Directions:
  • Print tie template, or create your own.
  • Cut out and trace onto paper backing of your Heat & Bond.

  • Peel backing off and lay it on your fabric. Make sure the heat and bond is covering your fabric - it will melt glue onto your ironing surface if it isn't sized right!
  • Turn iron settings to cotton & apply dry heat. Follow Heat & Bond instructions on amount of time to iron.


  •  Cut out your two tie pieces
  •  Peel back the remaining paper backing and place where you want it on your onesie or shirt. 
  • (There is usually a little lip at the collar that you can slide the edge of the "top knot" under for a cleaner look.)
  • Make sure you position the tie tucked under the knot where you want it.
  • Once you like the arrangement, iron until the edges won't lift.
  •  Admire your cute creation!
*Heat & Bond is permanent and washable, so sewing is not necessary. If you are aren't sewing challenged like I am, at this point you could sew around the tie for a fancier finished look. Go here for a fabulous tutorial.

This is such a quick and easy project for your little one, or it would make a fantastic gift! Please link back if you try it out - I would love to see your creations!!


2 comments:

Stacey Murphy said...

Do you know where I can find your template?

smithpeasinapod said...

Yes! Please share your tie onesie when you are done - I would LOVE to see what you make :)

http://tinyurl.com/smithpeastietemplate