Sunday, November 1, 2009

Telling Our Parents <3

For the first few weeks, we decided the only people we would tell would be Ryan's parents, and my Mom and Grandma. We avoided talking to our parents for a whole week so we wouldn't spill the beans before we got to tell them in person. My Mom and I took my Grandma out to a showing of Charlotte's Web at the Performing Arts Center on October 2nd. We all met at my Grandma's house and we were running a little late (as usual). They were waiting outside when I arrived. I asked if we could go inside for a few minutes, and after a little hesitation they decided to oblige. They were in the kitchen while I set up the video camera, hidden on the fireplace mantle. I called them in the living room and told them I had made them both a surprise. I handed them a shadow box with a lid on it and told them to open it together. My mom opened the box revealing all 5 positive pregnancy tests and screamed "ARE YOU PREGNANT??" She burst into sobs and pulled me into a big hug. My Grandma just kept saying "Oh my gosh!! OH MY GOSH!!" It was perfect. We went to Kilkinney's for dinner and then the show, and we talked about how much fun it is going to be!

We told Ryan's parents the next evening. Ryan's Dad had always offered me a beer in the past, and we had a running joke that just once he wanted to offer me a beer and me tell him I couldn't drink alcohol for the next nine months!! We went over there for dinner and to watch the OU game - perfect situation for that offer right? Nope! Haha he wasn't drinking on this particular evening. We waited and waited for him to ask and it never happened. Ryan and I dilly dallied waiting for the perfect lull in the game to share the good news, but it just wasn't working. Sherry and Bob both have new iPhones and I was showing Sherry how to do something fun on her phone when all the sudden a picture message came through. Ryan sent her a picture of me holding the positive test. It was tiny and Sherry asked "What is that??" I showed her if you tap the picture it makes it bigger. She screamed "HOLY SH**!" (haha so unlike her!!) and ran to Bob to show him the good news. They were simply ecstatic! Bob kept sending us messages after we left about all the super fun things the new Grandparents are going to get to do with baby :) Both of our parents will be first time Grandparents - what a WONDERFUL honor <3>

No comments: