Sunday, November 1, 2009

Our First Appointment!

When we found out I was pregnant, we made our first doctor's appointment. It was set for October 23rd - a MONTH away. Talk about suspense?? I started having pretty severe cramping, and just out of new baby jitters we decided to see if we could get in early. They made my appointment for the following day.

We were at the doctor's office for three hours. We met our nurse practitioner (who was SO cute!) and she had me do a urinalysis and a blood test. Based on my possible conception date she thought we might be able to see something with an ultrasound! She told us there was even a possibility we could hear the heartbeat - I immediately was choking back tears!! Well...I ended up not being quite as far along as assumed. We met the err, ultrasound-ologist? and we got to see the (maybe?) baby! It was the size of a peppercorn. But she also said that this early on you may not even be able to see the baby yet. She said "this is either your baby or a bloodclot. Geeez. She explained that usually women don't find out they are pregnant until a few weeks later than we had, and there is usually a bit more to see. I was a teeny bit disappointed, but still full of excitement!

It was so early in the pregnancy that no one could really give us any solid information. I said to the nurse, "I just want someone to say the words 'you are pregnant'!" She told me she would call me with the blood test results. Still didn't get to hear the words! Ryan took me back to work and called me about a half hour later and told me she said I was "DEFINITELY PREGNANT!"

When you are pregnant, the hormone HCG doubles in your body every 48 hours. They asked me to come back on Monday to check my hormone level. They called with the results and it had more than doubled!! Everything is going just as it is supposed to! So now we wait for our original appointment on the 23rd - where if everything goes perfectly, we will get to hear our baby's first heartbeat <3

No comments: